How Obsessed I am with Kingdom Hearts

This is a Random Blog by me, Angelique Williams, about how Obsessed with Kingdom Hearts i am. It is vaguly stupid and you may laugh with glee. MUHAHAHA

Friday, June 23, 2006

Random Name Analysis...Sora

(originally written June 7)

I noticed somthing last night, Sora's name isnt written in Kanji like i thought.

I was watching some Kingdom Hearts Fan AMV (which most i wanted to cut my computer in half.) and one had footage of the japanese version. If you havent played, when there are cutscenes (or FMA~Full motion Animation~) kingdom hearts has the close-caption of the conversation. So the japanese version showed a part when Kairi said Sora's name and his name was written in KATAKANA and not KANJI

You may see this weird or you dont care about what i am rambling about.I am a student of Japanese and if you really know me, i blert out phrases in japanese (and chinese in that manner too) [dont blame anything but the Anime Inuyasha and the former japanese band T_T Do as Infinity].

I was like: ...(read as, Dot, Dot, Dot out loud~AND I DO DO THAT NOW~) B-but i thought...(cries)

Also, the Kanji SORA means sky in Japanese.

"So Sora's name doesnt mean 'sky'?"

I wonder....

~Deeper explanaion of sora vs. sora~ (originally written June 8)

I looked in my 250 essential Kanji book and studied the common kanji for sora.

Japanese pronounciation: sora, kara, aku
Chinese pronounciation: kuu
Meanings: Sky; empty, vacant.

EX:
Sora -> Sky
Karate-> karate. Meaning "empty hand" AKA no wepon.
Karoke-> Karoke (empty orchestra)

See, it changes depending on what the word is. Most Kanji does that, it is the downfall of learning japanese, at least Chinese only has one "pronounciation" with some exceptions, believe me, i am taking chinese in school -_-". (its not bad though)

Sora in Katakana could be used to emphsise the kanji sora.

Its kinda like a tootsie pop "...the world will never know"

~~~~~~NOTE~~~~~~

In japanese they use 3 writing systems: Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji.

Hiragana and Katakana were derived from Kanji.
Kanji is the characters borrowed from the chinese writting system. it should also be noted that most of the kanji and the hanzi have most of the same meanings.

Hiragana is the most used writing system.However it is used with Kanji { and Katakana} in sentces.

Katakana is used for Loanwords.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home